Crab-Stuffed Chicken Breasts Recipe
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/3 cup crushed saltines (about 10 crackers)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 2. In a skillet, saute onion in remaining butter until tender. Add the crab, mushrooms, cracker crumbs, parsley, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons of the white sauce; heat through.
- 3. Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Spoon about 1/2 cup of the crab mixture on each chicken breast. Roll up and secure with a toothpick.
- 4. Place in a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Top with remaining white sauce. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Sprinkle with cheese and paprika. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Remove toothpicks. Serve with rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 368 calories, 22 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 115 mg cholesterol, 1,061 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.