Crisp, deep-fried wonton strips are a perfect accompaniment to a classic, creamy crab spread. Sweet-and-sour sauce adds fantastic flavor.—Gina Muller, Monroe, Iowa
- 1 package (12 ounces) wonton wrappers
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 cups lump crabmeat, drained
- 6 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 jar (10 ounces) sweet-and-sour sauce
- Cut wonton wrappers into thirds. In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry wonton strips, a few at a time, for 10-20 seconds on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels; sprinkle with salt.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Stir in crab and onions. Transfer to a serving plate; shape into a 6-in. disk. Top with sweet-and-sour sauce. Serve with wonton chips. Yield: 3 cups spread (180 chips).
Originally published as Crab Rangoon Cheese Spread in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p32
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Crab Rangoon Cheese Spread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 20, 2013
"This recipe is awesome. Always receive compliments when I bring it to a gathering."