Crab Quiche with Hollandaise Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese
- 3/4 cup frozen asparagus stir-fry vegetable blend, thawed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Dash pepper
- 1. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Place on a wire rack.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the crab, cheese, vegetable blend and onion; transfer to crust. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, seafood seasoning and pepper sauce. Pour over crab mixture.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
- 4. In a double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water, constantly whisk the egg yolks, water and lemon juice until mixture reaches 160° or is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. Reduce heat to low. Slowly drizzle in warm melted butter, whisking constantly. Whisk in pepper. Serve immediately with quiche. Yield: 6 servings (2/3 cup sauce).
1 piece with 5 teaspoons sauce equals 511 calories, 38 g fat (21 g saturated fat), 310 mg cholesterol, 754 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 19 g protein.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.