Cold winter evenings are much more tolerable with this comforting casserole. Whole wheat macaroni boosts nutrition, while the melted cheese topping makes it rich and so satisfying. We like it best with a veggie side. —Jason Egner, Edgerton, Wisconsin
- 2 cups uncooked whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) lump crabmeat, drained
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fat-free cheddar cheese, divided
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Combine flour and milk until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Drain macaroni. Add the crabmeat, sour cream, Swiss cheese, salt, mustard, macaroni and 1/4 cup cheddar cheese to the skillet.
- Transfer to an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining cheddar cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Crab Macaroni Casserole in Healthy Cooking December/January 2011, p53
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Crab Macaroni Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review