- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 6 baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded medium cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1-1/2 pounds cooked snow crab legs, meat removed
- 4 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain pasta and rinse in cold water.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onions in 1 tablespoon butter until tender; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt remaining butter. Stir in flour, mustard, pepper, salt and paprika until smooth; gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in 3/4 cup each mozzarella and cheddar cheeses until blended. Remove from heat; fold in macaroni.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, butter and basil. Transfer half the macaroni mixture to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer with reserved mushroom mixture, remaining macaroni mixture, mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Top with crab and Swiss cheese. Sprinkle with crumb mixture and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Crab Macaroni & Cheese in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2009, p20
Reviews for Crab Macaroni & Cheese
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 14, 2011
The recipe is bursting with flavors and is one of my husbands favorite dish.