- 1-1/3 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Thai chili sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, divided
- 1/4 cup each finely chopped celery, red onion and sweet red pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 pound fresh crabmeat
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, chili sauce and 1-1/4 teaspoons lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a small skillet, saute the celery, onion, red pepper and jalapeno in 1 tablespoon oil until tender. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the bread crumbs, egg, 1/2 cup reserved mayonnaise mixture and remaining lemon juice. Fold in crab. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Cover and refrigerate remaining mayonnaise mixture for sauce.
- Place flour in a shallow bowl. Drop crab mixture by 2 tablespoonfuls into flour. Gently coat and shape into a 1/2-in.-thick patty. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook patties in remaining oil in batches for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with reserved sauce. Yield: 2 dozen (1 cup sauce).
Reviews for Crab Cakes with Red Chili Mayo
"Very good. This was my 1st attempt at making crab cakes. Will do again."
"This was my first time making crab cakes and this recipe came out perfect! I served them on slider rolls and put the mayo right on the sliders. They came out really nice looking too and I am not usually good at making recipes look like the picture."
"These were terrific, although I omitted the jalapeno peppers to suit our tastes."
"Loved this recipe. The Red Chili Mayo really adds the zing."
"Excellent! I love the spicy touch. I added some of the chili sauce to the crab cakes themselves, which meant I also needed to add a little more bread crumbs. I also will make a little more of the mayo so it will go a little farther. Thanks for the great recipe!"