"Usually, I use only vegetables on my bruschetta, but I wondered how crab would taste. My family loves crab cakes, and now we love this appetizer, too," Mary Cokenour jots from Monticello, Utah.
16 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) lump crabmeat, drained
- 1 cup chopped seeded plum tomatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
- In a large skillet, saute shallots 2 tablespoons oil until tender.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the crab, tomatoes, basil and
- oregano; cook and stir for 5-6 minutes or until heated through.
- Remove from the heat.
- Brush both sides of each slice of bread with remaining oil. In
- another large skillet, toast bread for 1-2 minutes on each side. Cut
- each slice in half; top with crab mixture. Yield: 16 appetizers.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 93 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 103 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.