Crab and Mushroom-Stuffed Chicken Breasts Recipe
This elegant dish is often on the menu when I cook for guests. The versatile sauce is also delicious on pork chops and baked potatoes.
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/3 cup crushed saltines (about 10 crackers)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Additional minced fresh parsley, optional
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 2. In a small skillet, saute onion in remaining butter until tender. Add the crab, mushrooms, cracker crumbs, parsley, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons of the white sauce; heat through.
- 3. For each chicken breast, make a horizontal cut along one long side almost to the other side; leave chicken breasts attached at opposite side. Open breast so it lies flat; cover with wrap and Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Remove plastic wrap.
- 4. Spoon about 1/2 cup of the crab mixture on each chicken breast. Fold in sides and roll up. Secure with a toothpick.
- 5. Place in a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with remaining white sauce. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Sprinkle with cheese and paprika. Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Remove toothpicks before serving. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with rice if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 520 calories, 26g fat (14g saturated fat), 193mg cholesterol, 1129mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 55g protein.
Reviews for Crab and Mushroom-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC