Crab and Corn Chowder Recipe
I started cooking at a local restaurant when I was 16 years old. This creamy chowder was one of the soups we made. The recipe had been passed from cook to cook— but had never been written down, until now!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 cups milk
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 can (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 small green peppeer, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add flour; cook and stir until thick and bubbly. Gradually add milk; cook and stir until thickened. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 35-40 minutes. Remove bay leaf before serving. Yield: 6 servings (1-1/2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 402 calories, 21 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 859 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 17 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC