- 6 bacon strips, diced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (one 29 ounces, one 14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 3 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 2 cups water
- 4 medium leeks, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 pounds fresh or frozen sliced okra
- 1-1/2 pounds uncooked Daily Chef Uncooked Medium Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 pound fresh or frozen crabmeat, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In same skillet, saute onions and garlic in drippings until tender.
- Pour into a Dutch oven or soup kettle. Add the tomatoes, consomme and water. Cover and bring to a boil; add the leeks, carrot and okra. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the shrimp, crab, salt and cayenne; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and cold water until smooth. Stir into gumbo mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in parsley and reserved bacon. Serve immediately with rice. Yield: 16-20 servings (about 5 quarts).
Originally published as Crab N Shrimp Gumbo in Country Extra January 2004, p49
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Crab 'n' Shrimp Gumbo(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Bacon Recipes >
- Cajun Dinner Recipes >
- Cajun Recipes >
- Cajun Stew Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Mardi Gras Dinner Recipes >
- Mardi Gras Recipes >
- New Year's Dinner Recipes >
- New Year's Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Stew Recipes >
- Rice Recipes >