- Pour into a Dutch oven or soup kettle. Add the tomatoes, consomme and
- water. Cover and bring to a boil; add the leeks, carrot and okra.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes, stirring
- occasionally. Add the shrimp, crab, salt and cayenne; simmer,
- uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and cold water until smooth. Stir into
- gumbo mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- slightly thickened. Stir in parsley and reserved bacon. Serve
- immediately with rice. Yield: 16-20 servings (about 5 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 149 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 418 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 13 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.