Cowpoke Chili Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (16 ounces) hot chili beans, undrained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 cups frozen lima beans, thawed
- Cherry tomatoes, fresh oregano and small chili peppers, optional
- In a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the broth, tomato sauce and paste until blended. Add the next 10 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add lima beans; cook 5-10 minutes longer or until beans are tender. Garnish with tomatoes, oregano and peppers if desired. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews for Cowpoke Chili
Sort By :
"FANTASTIC recipe!! I do not use lima beans in mine...no one in my family likes them. In place of that, I used an extra can of chili beans. My kids even loved it. I used regular chili beans but still added the red pepper flakes. It was not enough to make it to hot for the kids. We will certainly be making this again for sure. Thanks for sharing."
"Excellent recipe. Very mild and a bit sweet which was nice for a change. I followed the recipe exactly. Will leave out the lima beans when I make it again. I didn't like the taste and texture of them as a kid and I guess I still don't."