Cowboy Boot Cake Recipe
Guests will kick up their heels when they see this cowboy confection. You will, too! It's such an easy treat for you to complete. To make it, all you need is a boxed cake mix and store-bought icing. The trickiest part to the cake is the cutting and frosting—and even that's just about effortless, thanks to the full-size patterns and detailed instructions we've provided for you here.
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting, divided
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting, divided
- Red and yellow liquid or paste food coloring
- 4 pastry bags or small heavy-duty resealable plastic bags
- #5 round and #27 star pastry tips
- 1. Mix and bake cake according to package directions, using a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cool in pan for 15 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- 2. Trace the patterns onto waxed paper, tracing a separate spur pattern, and cut out. (Be sure t read "Note" for instructions on completing boot pattern). Place "boot" and "toe" patterns on cake and cut around patterns. Turning toe to fit boot, position shapes on a large serving platter or baking sheet. Use a small amount of chocolate frosting to join toe to boot. Combine 1/2 cup chocolate frosting and milk to make a glaze; evenly spread over top and sides of boot. Chill for 20-25 minutes or until completely set.
- 3. Cut apart waxed paper boot patter on traced lines and reposition pieces on cake. Use a toothpick to lightly trace around each piece to transfer pattern.
- 4. Combine 1/4 cup vanilla frosting and red food coloring in a small bowl. In a second bowl, combine 1/3 cup vanilla frosting and yellow food coloring. Cover and chill until ready to use. In a third bowl, combine 2/3 cup vanilla frosting and 2/3 cup chocolate frosting to make a medium brown color. Save remaining dark chocolate frosting for outline and details. Using a metal spatula, spread a thin layer of medium brown frosting onto cut top and sides of cake. Chill remaining medium brown frosting until ready to use again.
- 5. Cut a small hole in the corner of the plastic or pastry bag for pastry tip. Insert round tip into bag. Fill bag with dark chocolate frosting. Following the pattern, outline boot shape, inside designs and bootstrap. On cake top, fill in heel, top of sole and top of boot with lines of frosting as shown in photo above. Fill in bottom sole on edge of cake, smoothing with a metal spatula.
- 6. Prepare another plastic or pastry bag, inserting the star tip. Fill bag with yellow frosting. Holding the bag straight up and down, form stars on the inside of the boot design outline. Also form stars for the bootstrap buckle.
- 7. Wash star tip and insert into a third plastic or pastry bag. Fill bag with red frosting. Using the same procedure, form stars inside the bootstrap outline. Wash star tip and insert into a fourth plastic or pastry bag. Fill bag with medium brown frosting. Using the same procedure, form stars on remaining areas of boot.
- 8. In a "spur" is desired, place traced waxed paper spur on a piece of cardboard. Trace around pattern and cut out spur. Cover spur with foil. Glue a toothpick to the back of spur and insert into boot (see photo). Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Cowboy Boot Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC