Couscous-Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe
- 18 medium fresh mushrooms
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup uncooked couscous
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Remove mushroom stems; discard or save for another use. Set caps aside. In a large nonstick skillet, saute onions and garlic in oil for 1 minute. Stir in wine or broth and soy sauce; add mushroom caps. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-6 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Remove mushrooms with a slotted spoon, reserving liquid in skillet. Place mushrooms stem side down on paper towels.
- 2. In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil. Stir in couscous. Remove from he heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork; add to reserved mushroom liquid. Cover and cook on low until liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Add the next five ingredients and toss gently.
- 3. Sprinkle inside of mushroom caps with salt and pepper. Stuff with couscous mixture. Place in an 11-in. x 7-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until stuffing is lightly browned. Yield: 6 servings.
3 each: 113 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 416mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Couscous-Stuffed Mushrooms
"Oh my! These are amazing!! I skipped the walnuts and I didnt have any parsley but they turned out great!!"