Couscous-Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe
Our Test Kitchen combined this popular winter squash with couscous, cherries, walnuts and seasonings and served it in the shell. Even kids will like this flavorful and filling dish.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 40 min. YIELD:2 servings
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1/3 cup uncooked couscous
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or cherries
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; add water. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until tender.
- 2. In a small saucepan, bring apple juice to a boil; stir in couscous. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- 3. Scoop out squash, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. Cut pulp into 1/2-in. pieces; place in a bowl. Stir in the couscous, cranberries, walnuts and onion. Combine the butter, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon; drizzle over couscous mixture and toss gently. Spoon into squash shells. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
1/2 stuffed squash equals 444 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 221 mg sodium, 83 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC