Couscous Salad Recipe
- 1-2/3 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked couscous
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh mint or 1/4 teaspoon dried mint
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in couscous; cover. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- 2. In a bowl, combine couscous, tomatoes, onion and herbs. Whisk together the lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper. Pour over couscous mixture; toss to coat. Chill overnight. Yield: 8 servings.
One serving (3/4 cup) equals 168 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 156 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.