Couscous Paella Recipe
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups uncooked couscous
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Lemon wedges
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute red pepper in oil for 2 minutes. Add onions and garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in broth and seasonings; bring to a boil. Add shrimp; cook for 2-3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Return to a boil. Stir in the couscous, peas and butter.
- 3. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Sprinkle with almonds and parsley. Serve with lemon. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/4 cups equals 343 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 172 mg cholesterol, 841 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 28 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.