Couscous Meatball Soup Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 bunch collard greens, chopped (8 cups)
- 1 bunch kale, chopped (8 cups)
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) pearl (Israeli) couscous
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the beef, basil, oregano and salt. Shape into 1/2-in. balls. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown meatballs; drain. Remove meatballs and set aside.
- 2. In the same skillet, brown onion in oil. Add greens and kale; cook 6-7 minutes longer or until wilted.
- 3. In a Dutch oven, combine the greens mixture, meatballs, stock, vinegar, pepper flakes and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Return to a boil. Stir in couscous. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until couscous is tender, stirring once. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 202 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 583mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 13g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable
Reviews for Couscous Meatball Soup
"I've made this repeatedly, substituting ground turkey for ground beef. Easy to make, and everyone loves it."
"I really liked this recipe. It was also a favorite of my mom who loves her veggies. I used Acini de Pepe instead of Coucous, since that's all I had and I doctored the meatballs a bit and added a few extra spices. Even though this recipe seemed very basic, it came out quite good."
"This soup was sooo tasty and easy to prepare! My whole family (including my three and four year olds) enjoyed this yummy soup. Very healthy, too."
"Just loved this delicious soup! The meatballs are delicious!"
"Made this soup for dinner tonight and my 5 and 7 year old boys loved it! It is a great way to sneak in some yummy, healthy greens. I used beef stock instead of vegetable stock and the flavor was fantastic."
"This is my new, favourite recipe. I could not find the couscous, so I added 2 cups cooked barley instead. I recommend making the meatballs as is (they were very good and had a distinct flavour), rather than substituting other meatballs. Excellent! Thanks for a great recipe!!"
"This is my new, favourite recipe. I was worried the greens might be overpowering, but they were great! I could not find the couscous, so I added 2 cups cooked barley instead. I recommend making the meatballs as is (they were very good and had a distinct flavour), rather than substituting other meatballs. Excellent! Thanks for a great recipe!!"