Couscous Meatball Soup Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 bunch collard greens, chopped (8 cups)
- 1 bunch kale, chopped (8 cups)
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) pearl (Israeli) couscous
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the beef, basil, oregano and salt. Shape into 1/2-in. balls. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown meatballs; drain. Remove meatballs and set aside.
- 2. In the same skillet, brown onion in oil. Add greens and kale; cook 6-7 minutes longer or until wilted.
- 3. In a Dutch oven, combine the greens mixture, meatballs, stock, vinegar, pepper flakes and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Return to a boil. Stir in couscous. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until couscous is tender, stirring once. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup equals 202 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 583 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable.