Couscous Caps Recipe
- 20 large fresh mushrooms
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/3 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 4 teaspoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1. Remove stems from mushrooms and finely chop stems; set caps aside. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onions and chopped mushrooms until crisp-tender. Add 1/2 cup broth; cook and stir until liquid is evaporated and vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring remaining broth to a boil. Stir in couscous. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5-10 minutes or until broth is absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Add to onion mixture. Stir in 2 tablespoons cheese, mayonnaise, basil and tarragon. Stuff into mushroom caps.
- 3. Place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Just before serving, sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 20 appetizers.
1 stuffed mushroom equals 26 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 49 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.