Courtside Caramel Corn
"Can't stop eating it!" say guests about my caramel corn. For our basketball party. I fix enough to fill a big red tin decorated with the University of Arizona logo. The delectable syrup coats the popcorn well but isn't sticky. —Sharon Landeen, Tucson, Arizona
22 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 6 quarts popped popcorn
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Place popcorn in a large bowl and set aside. In a large saucepan,
- combine the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt; bring to a
- boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 5 minutes,
- stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla and baking soda; mix well. Pour
- over popcorn and stir until well-coated. Pour into two greased
- 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans.
- Bake, uncovered, at 250° for 45 minutes, stirring every 15
- minutes. Cool completely. Store in airtight containers. Yield:
- about 5-1/2 quarts.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 230 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 343 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.