What would the fair be without these delicious deep-fried pastries? To make these timeless treats, slowly swirl batter into oil, brown it to perfection and lightly dust with confectioners' sugar.
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk and brown sugar. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; beat into egg mixture until smooth.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Cover the bottom of a funnel spout with your finger; ladle 1/2 cup batter into funnel. Holding the funnel several inches above the skillet release finger and move the funnel in a spiral motion until all of the batter is released (scraping funnel with a rubber spatula if needed).
- Fry for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining batter. Dust with confectioners' sugar; serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as County Fair Funnel Cakes in Quick Cooking July/August 2000, p48
Reviews for County Fair Funnel Cakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review