County Fair Funnel Cakes
What would the fair be without these delicious deep-fried pastries? To make these timeless treats, slowly swirl batter into oil, brown it to perfection and lightly dust with confectioners' sugar.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk and brown sugar. Combine
- flour, baking powder and salt; beat into egg mixture until smooth.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°.
- Cover the bottom of a funnel spout with your finger; ladle 1/2 cup
- batter into funnel. Holding the funnel several inches above the
- skillet release finger and move the funnel in a spiral motion until
- all of the batter is released (scraping funnel with a rubber spatula
- if needed).
- Fry for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper
- towels. Repeat with remaining batter. Dust with confectioners'
- sugar; serve warm. Yield: 6 servings.
Editor's Note: The batter can be poured from a liquid measuring cup instead of a funnel.