County Fair Cherry Pie Recipe
This cherry pie is so easy! I'm a teacher and a Navy wife, so simplicity and quickness are both mealtime musts at our house. —Claudia Youmans, Virginia Beach, Virginia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 55 min. + cooling YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 4 cups pitted dark sweet cherries
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- Star cookie cutters (1/2 inch and 2 inches)
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt; stir in cherries. Let stand 30 minutes.
- 2. Cook and stir cherry mixture over medium heat until mixture boils and starts to thicken.
- 3. Pour into jars or freezer containers, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Cool. Cover with lids; refrigerate or freeze. Yield: 3 cups filling for one pie.
- 4. To make pie: Preheat oven to 375°. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; add filling. (If filling is frozen, thaw in the refrigerator overnight.) Flute edges of pastry. Bake 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges during the last 20 minutes to prevent overbrowning.
- 5. Meanwhile, cut remaining pastry into 12-14 large stars and 16-18 small stars; place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- 6. Bake at 375° 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire rack to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Place stars randomly over cooled pie. Sprinkle edges of pie with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 3 cups filling for one pie.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC