County Fair Cherry Pie
This cherry pie is so easy! I'm a teacher and a Navy wife, so simplicity and quickness are both mealtime musts at our house. —Claudia Youmans, Virginia Beach, Virginia
6-8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 4 cups pitted dark sweet cherries
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- Star cookie cutters (1/2 inch and 2 inches)
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt; stir in
- cherries. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Cook and stir cherry mixture over medium heat until mixture boils and
- starts to thicken.
- Pour into jars or freezer containers, leaving 1/2-in. headspace.
- Cool. Cover with lids; refrigerate or freeze. Yield: 3 cups filling
- for one pie.
- To make pie: Preheat oven to 375°. Line a 9-in. pie plate with
- bottom pastry; add filling. (If filling is frozen, thaw in the
- refrigerator overnight.) Flute edges of pastry. Bake 45 minutes or
- until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges
- during the last 20 minutes to prevent overbrowning.
- Meanwhile, cut remaining pastry into 12-14 large stars and 16-18