Country White Bread Recipe
Anytime is the right time for a comforting slice of homemade bread. These loaves are especially nice since the crust stays so tender. This recipe is my husband Nick's favorite. He makes most of the bread at our house. -Joanne Shew Chuk, St. Benedict, Saskatchewan
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 6-1/2 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, eggs, oil and 3 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Divide in half and shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 125 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 226 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC