- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 6-1/2 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sugar, salt, eggs, oil and 3 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half and shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Country White Bread
"my favorite ! will definitely make again!""
"This is by far the best basic white bread recipe I've used. I make it quite a bit, always turns out great."
"This recipe is one of the simplest, yet best recipes for home style bread I've made. My family enjoys it, we give it away and friends are so happy to get a nice warm loaf. This recipe usually makes 3 for us, as we've done it in two and the loaves are HUGE on top. So we do 2 loaves and cinnamon buns or 3 loaves. Enjoy!"
"Turned out great. I substituted warm milk for the water portion. It is sweet and a little doughy."
"This recipe was so easy and SO yummy! This is definitely being added to our family favorites."