- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 6-1/2 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, salt, eggs, oil and 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Divide in half and shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Country White Bread
"my favorite ! will definitely make again!""
"This is by far the best basic white bread recipe I've used. I make it quite a bit, always turns out great."
"This recipe is one of the simplest, yet best recipes for home style bread I've made. My family enjoys it, we give it away and friends are so happy to get a nice warm loaf. This recipe usually makes 3 for us, as we've done it in two and the loaves are HUGE on top. So we do 2 loaves and cinnamon buns or 3 loaves. Enjoy!"
"Turned out great. I substituted warm milk for the water portion. It is sweet and a little doughy."
"This recipe was so easy and SO yummy! This is definitely being added to our family favorites."
"I tried this recipe for the first time yesterday. It turned out wonderfully!! I halved the recipe and before putting the bread in the oven I misted the top with some water to improve the lift. This recipe is a keeper."
"Turned out perfect! Will be making this again."
"Great bread! I also use it for my cinnamon rolls."
"I loved this recipe. The bread came out perfectly wonderful and very delicious. I will be using this recipe again."
"I've made this bread several times now, it is a real winner! Recipe yields a tender, slightly chewy, lofty loaf. Keeps well, too."