Country Vegetable Soup Recipe
Years ago when money was scarce, I often relied on this economical standby. I sometimes added roast beef when leftovers were available.
- 2 quarts water
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed French onion soup, undiluted
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups chopped zucchini
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, thyme and marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups broken uncooked wide egg noodles
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups cubed cooked roast beef, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine water, soup, tomatoes, zucchini, carrots, celery, potato, parsley, garlic, bouillon and seasonings; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add bacon and noodles; simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in beans, Parmesan cheese and beef if desired; heat through. Remove bay leaf before serving. Yield: 18-20 servings (5 quarts).
1 cup: 76 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 350mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein .
Reviews for Country Vegetable Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC