This easy recipe results in a delicious dish of cooked greens sure to please any palate. The key is the rich flavor of pork and onion simmered with the fresh greens.
- 3/4 pound lean salt pork or bacon, diced
- 4-1/2 pounds fresh turnip greens, trimmed
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook salt pork until lightly browned. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons of drippings.
- Stir the remaining ingredients into the reserved drippings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until greens are tender. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Country Turnip Greens in Taste of Home December/January 2000, p35
Reviews for Country Turnip Greens
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review