Country Tomato-Rice Soup
When my husband comes home after being on the road, I like to have a hot pot of this traditional soup waiting for him. It's a wonderful "welcome home" meal on a cold winter day.
14 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 quarts water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown beef in oil. Add water; bring
- to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add
- tomatoes, bouillon and seasonings; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add
- carrots, celery, onion and rice. Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until
- beef and rice are tender. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 122 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 356 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 13 g protein.