When my husband comes home after being on the road, I like to have a hot pot of this traditional soup waiting for him. It's a wonderful "welcome home" meal on a cold winter day.
Recommended: 30 Soup Recipes to Make This Winter
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 quarts water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 celery ribs, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown beef in oil. Add water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add tomatoes, bouillon and seasonings; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add carrots, celery, onion and rice. Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until beef and rice are tender. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Country Tomato-Rice Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p21
Reviews for Country Tomato-Rice Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review