Country-Style Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe
- 6 cups cold 2% milk, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 packages (3.4 ounces each) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1. In a large saucepan, heat 2-1/2 cups milk to 175°; stir in the sugar until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in vanilla.
- 2. Place remaining milk in a large bowl; whisk in pudding mixes for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Stir into egg mixture. Stir in whipped topping. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 3. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 2-1/2 quarts.
3/4 cup equals 313 calories, 8 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 276 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Country-Style Vanilla Ice Cream
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.