Country-Style Tomatoes Recipe
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Cut each tomato into four thick slices; place on paper towels to drain. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, parsley, basil, garlic and salt until blended. Spread cream cheese mixture over eight tomato slices; top with remaining tomato slices.
- Place flour and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. In another bowl, whisk egg and milk. Coat the top and bottom of each sandwich with flour, dip into egg mixture, then coat with crumbs.
- In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium heat. Fry tomato sandwiches in batches for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Country-Style Tomatoes
Sort By :
I don't think I added enough salt and my slices were a little too thick. But it was good!
No, you cut 4 tomatoes into 4 slices each - 4x4=16 - then spread 8 slices and top w/8 slices.
This receipe confuses me....cut four thick slices then spread 8 slices with cream cheese? How many slices are we talking about? Thanks.
I kind of think these wouldn't be eaten like sandwiches, but with a fork and knife. I think "sandwich" is just a description of how they are put together.
These taste delicious. However, we had trouble keeping ours together as sandwiches. Yummy for us, but I wouldn't serve for company because of the messiness.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Carb Side Dishes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Side Dish Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Vegetarian Recipes >
- Tomato Recipes >
- Vegetable Side Dishes >
- Vegetarian Recipes >