Country Sage Bread Recipe
This recipe was given to me more than 15 years ago by a friend. The unique combination of sage, celery seed and nutmeg makes this bread deliciously different.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar, shortening, celery seed, salt, sage, nutmeg, egg and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 3. Punch dough down. Shape into a round loaf. Place in a greased 8-in. or 9-in. pie plate. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pie plate to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 119 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 232 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC