Country Roasted Chicken Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 large onion, cut into eighths
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, cut into 4-inch pieces
- 4 fresh parsley sprigs
- 8 small red potatoes
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- Minced fresh parsley
- 1. Sprinkle inside of chicken with thyme and 1 teaspoon salt. Stuff chicken with the onion, celery and parsley sprigs. Place in a greased oven-proof Dutch oven.
- 2. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle remaining salt over chicken. Add potatoes and broth to pan. Cover and bake 25 minutes longer.
- 3. Increase oven temperature to 400°. Bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender and a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 180°. Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Sprinkle with minced parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (12 ounces) equals 455 calories, 21 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 131 mg cholesterol, 1,377 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 44 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.