- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 large onion, cut into eighths
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, cut into 4-inch pieces
- 4 fresh parsley sprigs
- 8 small red potatoes
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- Minced fresh parsley
- Sprinkle inside of chicken with thyme and 1 teaspoon salt. Stuff chicken with the onion, celery and parsley sprigs. Place in a greased oven-proof Dutch oven.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle remaining salt over chicken. Add potatoes and broth to pan. Cover and bake 25 minutes longer.
- Increase oven temperature to 400°. Bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender and a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 180°. Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Sprinkle with minced parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forCountry Roasted Chicken
"Sliced onion, celery, and three garlic gloves and stuffed 5lb chicken. Added ten minutes to each baking time. Used 3/4 cup broth and cut up potatoes. Salted and peppered inside and out of chicken. Threw two bay leaves on top. Used soup base to make broth with chicken neck in boiling water. Mixed two T softened butter with two T flour and added to pan juices to make gravy."
"Sooooo good! I will use as my go-to roast hen recipe from now on. I don't usually alter recipes but next time I will try just 1/2 teasp salt inside and just a wee sprinkle on top - oh and add more broth -just so there's more for gravy. Teenaged daughter said "you should make this more often". She is starting to collect recipes and this one is a definite keeper. Thank you for sharing, Judy Page and Taste of Home."
"Super tasting and super easy! The chicken comes out moist and falling off the bone. This recipe gets a blue ribbon. I served it with Herbed Honey Lime Sauce, another TOH recipe."
"It was good, I cut pototoes to cook it faster and pototoes must be in the broth to be cooked and not dry hard. I sprinkled the chicken with garlic."
"This was really good. The chicken was really moist and the potatoes came out with the perfect consistency. The recipie was so simple, I was really surprised how good the flavor was."