Country Roasted Chicken Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 large onion, cut into eighths
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, cut into 4-inch pieces
- 4 fresh parsley sprigs
- 8 small red potatoes
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- Minced fresh parsley
- Sprinkle inside of chicken with thyme and 1 teaspoon salt. Stuff chicken with the onion, celery and parsley sprigs. Place in a greased oven-proof Dutch oven.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle remaining salt over chicken. Add potatoes and broth to pan. Cover and bake 25 minutes longer.
- Increase oven temperature to 400°. Bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender and a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 180°. Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Sprinkle with minced parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Country Roasted Chicken(5)
Sort By :
Sooooo good! I will use as my go-to roast hen recipe from now on. I don't usually alter recipes but next time I will try just 1/2 teasp salt inside and just a wee sprinkle on top - oh and add more broth -just so there's more for gravy. Teenaged daughter said "you should make this more often". She is starting to collect recipes and this one is a definite keeper. Thank you for sharing, Judy Page and Taste of Home.
Super tasting and super easy! The chicken comes out moist and falling off the bone. This recipe gets a blue ribbon. I served it with Herbed Honey Lime Sauce, another TOH recipe.
It was good, I cut pototoes to cook it faster and pototoes must be in the broth to be cooked and not dry hard. I sprinkled the chicken with garlic.
This was really good. The chicken was really moist and the potatoes came out with the perfect consistency. The recipie was so simple, I was really surprised how good the flavor was.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Chicken >
- Baked Potatoes >
- Budget Chicken Recipes >
- Budget Dinner Recipes >