Country Pork 'n' Sauerkraut
The "secret ingredient" in this recipe is the applesauce. When everything's cooked up, you wouldn't know it's in there...yet the taste's just a bit sweeter.
My mother and grandmother once ran a beanery for a train crew. That inspired a lot of my cooking. In fact, I adapted this recipe from one of theirs.
Luckily for me, my husband likes to eat what I fix as much as I like to cook it! He a
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1-1/2 hours
- 2 pounds bone-in country-style pork ribs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (14 ounces) sauerkraut, undrained
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook ribs and onion in oil until ribs are browned
- and onion is tender. Remove from the heat. Combine remaining
- ingredients and pour over ribs.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until ribs are
- tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (8 ounces) equals 477 calories, 24 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 130 mg cholesterol, 757 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 41 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer