Country Poppy Seed Cake Recipe
Poppies are our state flower, and each spring the fields in this area are a brilliant orange mass of poppies. That's when we make this poppy seed cake. It's especially fitting when we picnic where the poppies are plentiful.
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1 package (5.1 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 teaspoons milk
- In a large bowl, combine the poppy seeds, pudding and cake mix. Add the oil, eggs, water and almond extract. Beat on low speed until dry ingredients are moistened. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle into a greased fluted 10-in. tube pan.
- Pour batter into pan and bake at 325° for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow cake to cool 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over cooled cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Country Poppy Seed Cake in Country Extra March 1991, p45
Reviews for Country Poppy Seed Cake(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 29, 2010
I made this cake for one of my daughters friend for her birthday. When she told me what kind of cake she wanted I panicked. I had never made a poppy seed cake. It was such a hit that is the only cake they want anymore.