Country Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 to 2 bay leaves
- 2/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 to 5 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (about 1 pound)
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream or milk
- 1. In a 2-qt. saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in broth until smooth. Add salt, pepper and bay leaves. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, saute the celery and onion in oil until tender. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender. Add to broth mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cream; heat through. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 305 calories, 26 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 916 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Country Mushroom Soup
"This soup is soooo good!!! Perfect with whole wheat rolls, from TOH, and a salad on a snowy night. Thank you, Elsie Cathrea."
"Very good, I've been making this since 2004. One recipe usually serves three adults."
"Nice, creamy soup that was easy make. Definitely a keeper."
"The best mushroom soup I have ever had and all I had to do was reduced the salt for my diet requrments."
"Very nice and simple. I usually don't mess with the recipe the first time, but I used skim milk, added garlic and reduced the oil to lower the calories. Nice flavor"
"I did not have celery but followed the recipe otherwise. I did double it and it served 4 adults with no leftovers. I have made this twice and both times it was fantastic. This soup was perfect on a cold snowy Colorado night!"
"very good! I didn't have celery so I used bok choy and added a little jalapeno."
"It was fantastic!! I doubled the recipe ~mushrooms and all. My children thought it was "mushroom overload" so next time I'll double everything but the mushrooms. :)"
"Absolutely delicious! Will double the recipe next time!"
"whole family loved it!"
"this is by far the best fresh mushroom soup recipe i have made. YUMMY!!"