Country Mushroom Soup Recipe
The big fresh-mushroom flavor of this soup sets it apart from other recipes I've tried. After preparing this family favorite for guests, I frequently get recipe requests. -Elsie Cathrea, Elmira, Ontario
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 to 2 bay leaves
- 2/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 to 5 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (about 1 pound)
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream or milk
- 1. In a 2-qt. saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in broth until smooth. Add salt, pepper and bay leaves. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Meanwhile, in another saucepan, saute the celery and onion in oil until tender. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender. Add to broth mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cream; heat through. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 305 calories, 26 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 916 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC