- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 to 2 bay leaves
- 2/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 to 5 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (about 1 pound)
- 2/3 cup half-and-half cream or milk
- In a 2-qt. saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in broth until smooth. Add salt, pepper and bay leaves. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan, saute the celery and onion in oil until tender. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender. Add to broth mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cream; heat through. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Country Mushroom Soup
Sort By :
"This soup is soooo good!!! Perfect with whole wheat rolls, from TOH, and a salad on a snowy night. Thank you, Elsie Cathrea."
"Very good, I've been making this since 2004. One recipe usually serves three adults."
"Nice, creamy soup that was easy make. Definitely a keeper."
"The best mushroom soup I have ever had and all I had to do was reduced the salt for my diet requrments."
"Very nice and simple. I usually don't mess with the recipe the first time, but I used skim milk, added garlic and reduced the oil to lower the calories. Nice flavor"