Country Italian Soup Recipe
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the sausage, onion and celery until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Add the water, potatoes, tomatoes, carrots and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in zucchini; simmer 8-10 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1 cup: 211 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 876mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein .
Reviews for Country Italian Soup
"Easy and very yummy. Will make again."
"Have made this soup over 6 times in the past year and haven't tired of it. A true classic, great find. I always double the recipe, except for the cayenne pepper."