My mom gave me this recipe a few years back, and it quickly became a family favorite. It’s very flavorful and hearty.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the sausage, onion and celery until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add the water, potatoes, tomatoes, carrots and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in zucchini; simmer 8-10 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Country Italian Soup in Country December/January 2008, p51
Reviews for Country Italian Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review