My mom gave me this recipe a few years back, and it quickly became a family favorite. It’s very flavorful and hearty.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook the sausage, onion and celery until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add the water, potatoes, tomatoes, carrots and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in zucchini; simmer 8-10 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Country Italian Soup in Country December/January 2008, p51
Reviews for Country Italian Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 22, 2012
"Easy and very yummy. Will make again."
Reviewed Feb. 28, 2012
"Have made this soup over 6 times in the past year and haven't tired of it. A true classic, great find. I always double the recipe, except for the cayenne pepper."