- HERB SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- MEAT LOAF:
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef or combination of ground turkey or beef, pork and veal
- 1 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- In a skillet, heat oil on high. Saute the mushrooms; onion and garlic. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper and sugar. Remove 1-1/2 cups. Add water, bay leaf and basil to skillet. Simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine all meat loaf ingredients with 1-1/2 cups reserved sauce. press into a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan lined with waxed paper. Unmold onto a roasting pan. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until no pink remains and a thermometer reads 160°. Remove from oven; drain. Spread 1/2 cup of herb sauce over top of meat loaf. Return to oven for 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf and serve remaining sauce over individual servings. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Country Herbed Meat Loaf in Country Extra January 1992, p47
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Country Herbed Meat Loaf
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 24, 2011
"Great texture, try stuffing with Spinach and mushrooms and swiss cheese."