Country Herb Bread Recipe
I've relied on this traditional recipe for years. Everyone in the family loves the perfectly flavored herb loaves, especially our little boy, who always asks for "more brown bread".
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flours. Place 1-1/2 cups flour mixture in a large bowl; add the yeast, sugar, salt and herbs. In a saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add 3/4 cup flour mixture; beat 2 minutes longer. Stir in enough remaining flour mixture to form a stiff dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Let rest for 15 minutes. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into two loaves.
- 4. Place in two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. With a sharp knife, make four to five diagonal slashes across the top of each loaf. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 5. Beat egg white and cold water; brush over loaves. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 78 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 161 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Reviews for Country Herb Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC