Country-Fried Steaks Recipe
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 beef cubed steaks (4 ounces each)
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Combine 3 tablespoons flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper; set aside. Coat steaks with remaining flour. Beat egg white and water; dip steaks, then dredge in cornmeal mixture.
- In a large skillet, cook two steaks in 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until crisp, lightly browned and cooked to desired doneness. Remove steaks and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining oil and steaks.
- Meanwhile, for gravy, melt butter in a small saucepan; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the bouillon, marjoram, thyme and pepper; simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with steaks. Yield: 4 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Country-Fried Steaks
Sort By :
Bland and pretty much awful. Not how I was hoping they would turn out.
My husband really liked it.
Didn't really turn out the way I had hoped :( Kind of disappointed with this recipe
Turned out good but not very crisp and definitely not very flavorful...but still good and at least it used up the cubed steak we had...
The outside of the steaks burnt before the inside was done cooking. I followed the instructions to a "t", and it didn't turn out at all, and I feel like I invested a LOT of time in this. The gravy was absolutely horrible. I dumped out the entire thing and made up my own gravy (which was WAY better). Maybe I just don't have a taste for marjoram/thyme in my gravy...maybe I'm a pepper gravy type of person, but I couldn't bear the thought of serving it to anyone in my house.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Condiments >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Gravy Recipes >
- Quick Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Quick Beef Dinners >
- Quick Dinner Recipes >