Country-Fried Steaks Recipe
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 beef cubed steaks (4 ounces each)
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Combine 3 tablespoons flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper; set aside. Coat steaks with remaining flour. Beat egg white and water; dip steaks, then dredge in cornmeal mixture.
- 2. In a large skillet, cook two steaks in 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until crisp, lightly browned and cooked to desired doneness. Remove steaks and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining oil and steaks.
- 3. Meanwhile, for gravy, melt butter in a small saucepan; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the bouillon, marjoram, thyme and pepper; simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with steaks. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 370 calories, 17 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 612 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 32 g protein.
Reviews for Country-Fried Steaks
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.