Country Fried Steak is a favorite of field editor Betty Claycomb and her husband, Harold, who live in Alverton, Pennsylvania. "This down-home main dish is simple to make and so delicious!" Betty assures.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup crushed saltines
- 4 beef cubed steaks (4 pounds each)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushrooms soup, undiluted
- 1 cup milk
- Place milk and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. In another
- shallow bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper. Coat beef with flour
- mixture, then dip in milk and roll in crumbs.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook steaks in oil for 2-3
- minutes on each side or until golden and no longer pink. Remove and
- keep warm. Add soup and milk to skillet; bring to a boil, stirring
- to loosen browned bits from pan. Serve gravy with steaks. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 469 calories, 22 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 1,134 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 34 g protein.