Country Fair Cherry Pie Recipe
A homemade cherry filling peeks out from a star-shaped pastry top. You can try different shapes for other occasions and also add almond extract for another flavor. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 4 cups fresh tart cherries, pitted
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- Star cookie cutters (1/2 inch and 2 inches)
- Confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt; stir in cherries until blended. Let stand for 30 minutes. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge. Fill with cherry filling. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges during the last 20 minutes to prevent overbrowning.
- 3. Meanwhile, roll out remaining pastry to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut into 12-14 large stars and 16-18 small stars; place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Place stars randomly over cooled pie. Sprinkle edges of pie with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 511 calories, 23 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 331 mg sodium, 73 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Country Fair Cherry Pie
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC