- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 4 cups fresh tart cherries, pitted
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- Star cookie cutters (1/2 inch and 2 inches)
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt; stir in cherries until blended. Let stand for 30 minutes. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge. Fill with cherry filling. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cover edges during the last 20 minutes to prevent overbrowning.
- Meanwhile, roll out remaining pastry to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut into 12-14 large stars and 16-18 small stars; place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Place stars randomly over cooled pie. Sprinkle edges of pie with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Country Fair Cherry Pie
Sort By :
"I add a small dash of cinnamon & vanilla & almond extract. It is very good if you add these three items, but don't over add any of them . I also use minute tapioca in place of the cornstarch. I find that the cornstarch has a tendency to settle to the bottom of the pie."
"Sounds great, am saving receipe for future pie making."
"needs a splash of almond or vanilla..............a little dull otherwise."
"This is a delicious recipe and so beautiful for the holiday. It did take a lot longer to make. The stars need to be made ahead and took 45 minutes because I made my own dough. I thought it was too sweet and would recommend using less sugar if you use regular red cherries (not pie cherries) It was delicious and sooooo Pretty!"