Country Crust Sourdough Bread Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup Sourdough Starter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the Sourdough Starter, eggs, sugar, oil, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Brush with butter. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews for Country Crust Sourdough Bread
"I put a new spin on it. I used the bread machine! It turned out great! I added the wet ingrediants first and then the dry and put the yeast on top and covered it with the flour. Let it knead, rise, knead again and took it out and put it in the greased pans for the second rising. Wow! you could almost watch it rise! I put them in the oven at the temp and time you said in your recipe and they came out beautiful! We are having our Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, and I can't wait to try it out! Happy Thanksgiving everyone[:D"
"Good starter recipe. Made it as stated but will tweak it next. Going to add a 1/4 cup more starter for more flavor. You will NOT need all the flour. I used 6 cups and it was too much. 5 would have done it. The dough will be sticky but kneading will help that."
"Sounds GREAT! I'm DEFINITELY going to try it. But, should the starter be at room temp before you use it?"