Country Crust Sourdough Bread
For many years, I've been making 45 loaves of this bread for an annual Christmas bazaar, where we feed bread and soup to over 300 folks.
32 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup Sourdough Starter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 to 6-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Melted butter
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the Sourdough
- Starter, eggs, sugar, oil, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in
- half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf
- pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from
- pans to wire racks to cool. Brush with butter. Yield: 2 loaves.